Re: <E34> M30 Rear Engine Lifting Point BA

>From: "Nelson, Mark J" <Mark.Nelson@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E34> M30 Rear Engine Lifting Point
>
>I need to replace the Oil Pan Gasket on my 89 535i.  The Bentley manual
says
>"Using an engine lifting device at the front and rear engine lifting
points,
>raise the engine as much as possible."  (Pg 119-4 Step 11)
>
>The front lifting bracket is near the water pump, but I cannot find the
rear
>lifting point.  Does anybody know where it is?  Do I even need to lift
from
>the rear to remove the oil pan?
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you,
>Mark Nelson

The rear lifting point is cast into the block just above the starter
motor.

You cannot lift the engine far enough to make a difference between using
both or just the front.
Before lifting the engine, remove the fan and the two 10mm bolts
securing the throttle cable bracket to the intake manifold.  If you
don't remove these bolts, you'll either break the outer cables or bend
the bracket in such a way that the engine will race when started.

To get the pan off, you have two choices, after raising the engine.  One
is to  lower the pan, unbolt the oil pump and let it drop in the pan,
then reverse the procedure to install.  Very tricky job, very awkward if
you are lying on your back.  The other is to drop the subframe while the
engine is supported from above.  Easier to do the pan, in my opinion.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta