Naca duct ---response

Mark K,
Did you ever get an answer to your question about the NACA duct? I don't
remember seeing anything but then again I tended to skip over a lot of yo=
ur
submittals.

=46rom what I can dredge up from the old mental files, the NACA duct was =
design which had good ram performance but with little drag. That's why yo=
see it on some jets.

- - -Kevin<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kevin, Yes , I replied when some were talking about getting ram in some w=
ay
, shape or form.
the true this , No ram is possible in a street car.   Here is why:
in a perfect ram scoop .( like on a funny car, not perfect , but as perfe=
ct
as you can get it, so call it 85%), =

the ram formula is very simple and results in a pressure of .35 psi at 16=
0
MPH and .08psi at 80MPH.   thats it!!

So, at slower speeds , the best thing to do is just get rid of the pressu=
re
dropping restricition in the intake.   cone filters,
Alpha N systems , larger TBs and runners, etc.  these all reduce  the
pressure drop from intake to engine.  =

Nace ducts are on air frame to reduce parasitic drag along the air frame =
,
while giving access to air flow to the cabin
or for cooling of jet or engine components.   On a race car, it is only f=
or
a low parasitic drag inlet for cooling the driver =

or cooling brakes .   =

Im off to the dyno for the next volunteer car, a MR2 .   the BMW and
porsche 911 is next for the dyo run for the eRAM
electric forced air system.     Ive done alot of bench testing over the
last 2 mons, and the eRAM is flowing more air and =

creating more pressure due to a better inlet.  (those bell mouthed inlets=

increase fan efficiency tremendously , like the WeaponR
cone filter)   So, we will see if we can get the HP increased do to the f=
an
only higher than before.  =

Off to the dyno right now,

Mark Kibort