bekkers stroker motor vs. active autowerke turbo

>Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:32:42 -0500From: >gwells@domain.elided
>Subject: Bekker's E36 Strokers
>Anybody purchased and run one of Bekker's E36 stroker
>engines?  Very interesting product offering.
>The 3rd listed option (their willing to do customs pr
>their ad) whichis$16k for a 3.2L 330hp motor (not
>warrantied, probably because of the cams,oil
>pan,etc).The 330hp motor did come with the GT oil pan
>and LTW flywheel and strongerclutch.Obvious
>comparisons: One would be that a Stage 2 AA turbo
>kit.  Roughly 400hp and it costs $8k for the kit
>(obviously more if installedprofessionally),
>throw in a rebuilt 2.5/3.0L with 8.3 compresssion JE
>forged pistons, and you have a nearly bullet proof
>engine.  Total cost probably in the $12-$15k range to
>o itright. Another would be a stock euro 3.2L (321hp)
>that can be had for $10-12knowadays. Anybody here >have some insight
on the Bekker's strokers?

Grant, I do not have any experience with the Bekkers
motors, but I do have some biased insight:

1)  Its a 3.2L  with dual mode single vanos. Normally
    Aspirated.  Sure it has 330 hp, but how
    much more torque do you think it actually has
    over the stock 3.2L ?  My conjecture is not much.
    Probably no more that 270 lb-ft.  Is it very
    peaky torque?  The stock 3.2L peaks at what...
    around 4Krpm?

2)  A Euro motor, which costs less, has 321 hp, but
    more importantly, has 258 lb-ft of torque,
    and with dual infinitely variable vanos,
    peaks at 3250 rpm, and has no less than something
    like 240lb-ft from 2200 rpm or something.
    Betcha the Euro motor is more "usable" than the
    Bekkers motor.

3)  There is no comparison between either of these
    motors and a turbocharged motor.  An Active stage
    2 has about 420 hp, sure, but its torque that
    accelerates.  The turbo motor pumps out over
    400 lb-ft of torque.  That's a lot of torque.
    That's a lot of instantaneous acceleration.
    However, the turbo motor will cost more, not cause
    the motor costs a lot more, but because the
    excess torque will break your diff, wear this out,
    wear that out....etc.

Jason Leung
92 332i turbo