<E30>Rear subframe mounts?

How do you check the E30 rear mounts? ( the big cotton reel ones) When I had
the car on the hoist if I put a screwdriver it the bottom of the bush the
frame would move up and down. Is it stuffed? or does lateral movement mean
it is? The plate that fits under the bush and bolts to the body is about the
thickness of a coin away from the cylinder that holds the bush - is that
about right.

The car has a silght clunk from the rear - the diff mount has separated a
little, and I will replace it - but I am still not sure about the other two

Thanks
Allan Williams

BTW: I knew AD was the Birth of Jesus, but I was suffering from sleep
deprivation(hangover? see below) - Easter is the event which marks the death
of Jesus.

Idea: Have a HUGE party to celebrate it both times - that's how it works
here in NZ - any excuse for a party - the bigger the better!