re: Cold Start Problems E30

Dan reports problems starting his 325ix -

I had the same problem when I was stuck at 9000 feet and couldn't
start my '87 325i.I had a weak battery and oil that was
too thick. It was around 5 or 10 DegF at the time. Eventually the
battery gave out. When the tow truck showed up we tried jump starting
the car and had no success. Then the driver showed me a good trick
that got my car running:

If you think you've flooded the engine, disconnect the fuel pump relay
under the hood and let the engine crank for 30 seconds or so. As the
fuel empties out of the cylinders the engine may try to sputter to life
but eventually will not start because there is no fuel flow. At this
point you can reinsert the relay and crank it again.  You will need a
strong battery to get through all that.

Be sure and get some thin winter oil before you hit the mountains
next time. I'm using 5W30 Mobil 1 and a new battery this year.

On my car and in the Bentley manual, the fuel pump relay is located
on the left of the engine compartment just forward of the shock
tower under a flimsy plastic cover. There are three relays there,
the one in the middle is the fuel pump relay. YMMV.

Good Luck.

Matt Graham