Re: <E30> Electrical Repairs

Brant, thank you for your thoughtful and detailed explanation of how the
headlights work on your 525i.  Unfortunately, the E30 is (as Monty
Python used to say) something completely different.  On U.S. E30s,
when you switch to high beams, the low beams and fog lights go off.
Also, both the low and high beam headlight relays are located in the fuse
box under the hood, and bear the same part number (horn relay also the
same).  AFAIK, the E30 has no "lamp control module", nor a "crash
control module".  (The name of the "crash control module" is intriguing,
sounds like it is supposed to save the car from crashing or something!)

One area where your advice is probably correct is in the need to remove
corrosion, which will be part of my troubleshooting this coming Sunday.
And yes, it would be nice to get some instruction on how BMW
engineers think!  Even better, the engineers should get instructions on
what we DIYers are thinking when we try to work on the stuff they
design!

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid with goofed up headlights

>Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:44:00 -0500
>From: "Brant M. Miller" <brant@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: <E30> Electrical Repairs
>
>Scott -
>
>I've looked at my 95 525i ETM lighting diagrams.  Take what I see with a
>grain of salt, as I've not actually fiddled with the wires, just looked a=
>t the diagrams.  And, of course, my random thoughts related to a 525i
>may have no relevance at all to your E30.  And my comments are for
>US-spec cars, not Canadian.
<big snip, go read it in Digest # 777 if you really care>