<E28> '88 535i - "Check Engine" light

In regards to an '88 535i with a production date of 05/87, is there a
"Check Engine" dummy light that is suppose to initially light up with all
the other dummy lights?  My owners manual says makes no reference to a
"Check Engine" dummy light.  The Bentley states that '88 E28's have the
light and my local smog shop wouldn't pass the car due to the "Check
Engine" light being inoperable.

Is text, "Check Engine," suppose to be white like the rest of the other
dummy light text, or is suppose to be invisible until lit?

The "Check Engine" position doesn't take the normal black-1/4-twist light
bulb, but a special type of socket.  Similar to the ABS light socket.

I've checked behind the instrument cluster and around the computer and I
have not been able to find a light that will plug into the  "Check Engine"
socket.

Any help will be greatly appreciated . . .

Michael