6 series tire sizes

>Dennis Logan wrote:
> I wanted 245/45 x17" tires but they said the largest
> tires I could use was the 235/45x17, according to
><cut>
> I feel the 245s would look better, give the rims
> a little more protection from curbs and might even
> feel/handle better too. =
><cut>
>Does anyone know for sure if the 245s would fit on
> my M6 without any clearance problems?
>
>Rob Replied:
>I don't own an M6 or even a 6 series but i've heard of owners running 255s
>with a mild fender roll.  245s are no problem with no mods as long as the

Dennis, the 235's are the correct outside diameter for your
car, and are going to perform basically the same as the 245's,
so unless you _gotta have_ the wider tires I'd stick with
what works.  If you have a stock suspension and reasonably
correct offset (~20mm), the only rubbing problems you're
likely to have with the 245's would be on the inside of
the tire by the shocks and struts, and maybe in the rear
of the rear wheel wells near the top of the tire. I had some
rubbing there with 265/40's, but 5 minutes with a hammer and a
block of wood fixed that.  Stick your
nose under you car and look at how close your tires gett to
the shocks and struts to determine if you've got room for
wider tires. I can tell you that on my 86 with 235/45s in the
front, it's close to the point that the tire scuffs the dirt off
the side of the strut housing, and there is no way I could go
with wider tires. Be sure to check your clearance with the
car on the ground.  Keep in mind that different tires of the same
size (even by the same manufacturer) can have slightly
different widths.  The tire rack is usually good about providing
exact measurements.

The 255s that Rob mentions were probably 255/40s , which would
have a more correct outside diameter than the 245/45s, should fit
on your wheels and will fit your car with the correct offset
wheels. These are going to be noticably wider than the 235s or
245s, and again you'll need to check the inside clearances.

Mike Reimer
Vancouver, WA