Re: E30 Steering Racks

Scott Miller wrote:

> Jason, I saw your post about putting an E36 M3 rack in an E30, and I
> checked out the web site.  Here's my question:  Is there any advantage
> to putting an E30 M3 rack in an E30 325i?

Yes, the E30 M3 rack is also a closer ratio than the original 325 or 318
rack.

> It seems to me this would be
> an easier conversion, if there were any advantage.

It would be easier to install for sure... there are a couple of other
things to consider though.  First, availability.  The E30 M3 racks are
fairly hard to come by these days.  If you noticed on the web site, the E36
325 or 318 rack also makes a nice upgrade at 3.5 turns lock to lock.
These, along with the E36 M3 rack are readily available.  Also, there seems
to be a high rate of failure for the E30 racks whereas we have not seen too
many failures on the E36 racks yet.  Time will tell of course, but to this
point, the E36 racks seems to last longer as well.  Hope that helps.

ps - Sorry for the late reply... we've been kind of "snow bound" the last
few days ;)

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com