Re: E30 Convertible automatic roof weakspots BA

>From: "Adwo Heintjes" <nlheint1@domain.elided>
>Subject: E30 Convertible automatic roof weakspots
>
>At the moment I'm in the process of buying an E30 M3 Convertible. I
would
>like to know if there are any owners of a similar car. I have the
general
>knowledge of the things to look out for. I would like to have more
>information about the automatic  operation of the roof. Any
>weak spots?

By far, the largest weak point of this top is the owner.  Failure by
many owners to push the top high enough in front before hitting the
switch has resulted in very expensive damage to many of these cars.
Lazyness is expensive.
Other than that, I have seen nothing in the way of recurring problems in
these tops. Obviously, individual cars can suffer individual problems,
that is another matter than cannot be guessed about.

>I've also found out from the Mobile Tradition CD that 2 versions of the
>automatic roof have been made. My dealer couldn't tell me from the VIN
>(EB86396) which of the two variants is installed in my car. Automatic
roof
>has been made in electric hydraulic and electric mechanic version.
Anybody
>out there that can tell me which version the car has or how I can
recognize
>the difference between the two?

I've never personally seen the hydromechanical top, but it would be easy
to spot. There would be hydraulic struts attached to the roof frame
inside of the storage well. These struts would have hoses running from
them.
The electromechanical top has two motors underneath the storage well
that drive metal rods, visible inside the well, that connect to the roof
frame and the well lid.

>Adwo Heintjes

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician