<e-28> cleaning sunroof drain questions

>  >My 1986 535i has wet carpet on the passenger side (front). Is there a
>  typical
>  >culprit to this symptom?
>
>  >Walt Suman
>
>  This could be a backed up roof drain.  Check it out by running a coaxial
>  cable down the drain tube.  It's the perfect size and won't cut the drain
>  line.  Good luck
>
>  Curt Kiser
>  BMW CCA #118507 Tidewater Virginia Chapter
>  85' 535i - Sharked
>  86' 325 - Wife's 4 door kid-mobile

I also have the same problem with wet carpet under the passenger seat on my
1986 528e.  I also know that I must have clogged sunroof drains because when I
am driving during a light rain with the sunroof open, water starts to drip
from the lip of the sunroof.

Well I walked out into the garage today and just happened to have some coaxial
cable laying around so I tried cleaning out the drain. I was able to stuff a
full five feet of cable into the drain tube on the passenger side. I marked
the cable with tape and pulled it out.  Went to the drivers side and did the
same thing. When the cable  got to the same point, it stopped. When I tried to
pull it out, it got stuck.  I tried to find where the cable came out but could
not locate it. I know it went down the front windshield pillar but then where?
I ended up taking the plastic panel off between the fender and the wheel well
and it wasn't there.

I ended up getting in the car, standing up on the drivers seat with the
sunroof open and grabbing the cable with both hands and yanking it out. This
leads me to ask a couple of questions.

1. Are there only front drains for the sunroof or are there rear ones also?

2. Is five feet of cable long enough to clean out the drain? Five foot would
end slightly above the rocker panel.  Does the drain tube extend under the
floor pan and if so, how do I clean it out?

Thanks

Peter
1986 E-28 169K