insurance

Sure, as Jim stated, one can take care of damage by using one's own
insurance company.  Then they will go against the other insurance company to
collect.  The only problem is: if your deductable is high(mine is $500), and
the damage is likewise, you are out of pocket that amount.  Also, if the
damage is high, until your insurance company collects from the other
insurance company, the damage is charged against you and your policy, and
can affect your insurance rates until the cost to your insurance company is
re-paid.  I'm going through that kind of hastle right now:  Some moron in a
'98 Jeep rear-ended me on I-95 coming through SC on Monday, stop and go
traffic due to an accident ahead of us. Because of the congestion and lack
of ossifers-o'-d'-law in the area, we exchanged insurance info and he
departed.  Now he has a VERY creative story about the "cause" of the
accident, and the investigation will drag out a while.  My insurance company
would pick up the cost, including rental car, less my deductable, but as
above.  I don't particularly like that scenario.  So I'll be waiting on
repair, but pay for a rental car until things are settled.  Hopefully things
will be taken care of quickly, because the damage is pretty conclusive
regarding what happened.  Too bad I couldn't have put a rope around the
jerk's neck to keep him there until the law arrived.

Mark Selleck
'85 535i(perfect, never damaged, until Monday)