<e28> Control arm bushing

Well I have finally broke down and purchased e31, e32, & e34
bushing (part number 31 12 1 136 607) to replace the weak
e28 bushings.  I am having one problem. After searching the
archives and FAQ's I can not find more than one reference to
the diameter that the new bushings have to be machined down
to. The one reference that I have found is 1.967 inches. I
had a mechanic measure my new bushings and he came up with
2.254 inches. This difference of 0.287 inches or more than a
eighth of an inch per side seamed to be to big with an old
bushing sitting on top of the new one and using an eye-ball
scale. It did not seam more than a skin-cut would be needed
to get the new bushing to the same diameter as the old one.
Can any one confirm this dimension. Also what tolerance
should be applied to the newly machined diameter? I was
thinking +0.001 -0.003. To tight? Has anyone modified the
control arm to accept a the standard up-graded bushing? If
so what were the modified dimensions and tolerances? TIA.