<E28> Heating problem

Hi.  My '88 528e has been given a new water pump/thermostat/coolant
change makeover.   However, I am getting insufficient heating inside
the car, except at low speeds and idling.  The coolant system seems
to be "working ok", except I am surprised that the return hose from
the radiator and radiator itself  do not get hot (NY 30 deg weather)
whatever type of driving I engage in.  The temp. gauge needle slowly
climbs to near the 12 o'clock position.

Is the poor interior heating likely to be a problem with
unrestricted air intake the firewall cover openings (covering them
with duct tape helps a lot) -- vent lever , which feels "loose", all
the way to the left of course?   Since the Bently service manual does
not cover the topic of air blower levers well, I would appreciate it
if someone who had dealt with the problem would kindly  send me
some tips before I get started.  If I appear to be off the mark with
my conclusions, I would appreciate being set right.  The
heater core hoses are hot to the touch.  Thanks.

Owen