<all> worth while?

Ok, here it goes.  I am having my local machinist make me up some underdrive
pulleys for my 85 535i, just alt. and water pump.  Hey he's doing it really
cheap! But back to the matter at hand....If I could pick up an electric fan
pretty cheap would it be worth it?  I love fabricating things, so mounting and
wiring would be no problem, but I'd like to get you guys honest and much
respected opinion on this.  My preliminary opinion is that it would be worth
it because..the fan would only run when above set temp (i'm guessing 165-175
f)......The electric fan wouldn't draw as much power as the "mechanical fan",
especially under high RPM situations.  What do you all think?

Thanks
Nathan
85 535i