<E39> Heated Steering Wheel ???

Greetings all,

The other day while driving my 98 528i, I had the heated seats and
steering on ... feels good!  My wife and I noticed a burning smell, not
acrid but more like hot rubber and turned both the seats and the
steering wheel heaters off.  The smell went away after that, so we
tested each item individually, seat one-check, seat two-check, steering
wheel-hmmmm!  It still gets warm but nowhere as warm as it used to get.
It can't seem to maintain a steady temperature where you are gripping
the wheel.  What are the thoughts from the collective Digest
wisdom...besides of course taking it to the dealer adn stating. "it
doesn't get as hot as it used to."  Your thoughts and comments
gratefully appreciated as always.

Cheers

Geoff Patterson
98 528i - Warm steering only, and heads to the States next Monday :-(
92 325ic - In-transit to the States already :-((