Where is the BMW innovation for us in the $30k sport car market?

I post this question, not as a slam on BMW, but as a question about how
their
R&D/Marketing gurus intend to compete.

The title really says it all.  Where is BMW's innovation in sport cars in
the $30k
range?  While a 323i for $30k is a nice car; its not a sports car.  The E46
328i
doesn't fit in either (too heavy, only 200hp, etc).  The 318ti & Z3 4
cylinder
car's have Civic/Sentra power levels.

With the 240hp Nissan coming (2.0L 9k rpm redline 4 banger, 6spd, etc)
~$30k,
the Cobra ~$29k has 320hp with independent rear suspension, Audi TT coupe
~$30k,
etc. BMW seems to have missed the general sports car $30k market going
forward.

The M3 or M coupe doesn't fit into this equation except as a used car.
The M5 is not even close at $70k as well as the new M3 340hp(?) for >$50k

So you tech insiders, what's going on at BMW.  Is the "new" 2002 really
dead?
Where is the excitement from BMW?  Are all their resources sucked into the
sport utes?

Heck, I would settle for a 323 body with a U.S 240hp 3.2L from the factory
for $30k.
They got to do something with the production hardware for the U.S. 3.2L
right?

Grant
gwells@domain.elided
'87 E30 LTW (242hp, now 2,600lbs)