Re: E36 Losing Coolant (Applies to all BM's)

     Juli writes:

     "All was well until this morning, when the OBC sounded off and I found
     the coolant low again.  Despite this, the car never budges beyond the
     center of the temp. gauge, so it's not overheating -- yet."

     Juli,

     I had a similar problem with my E28 535.  Occasionally I'd lose
     coolant and the check light would come on.   I noticed a spot that had
     residue from leaking coolant, so I tightened up all the hoses but
     eventually the check light would come on again.

     The culprit turned out to be the Radiator Cap.  As it aged (11 years?)
     the spring that held the cap tight under pressure weakened.  Then on a
     warm day I'd loose just enough coolant to make the check light come on
     the next morning when the engine was cool and the volume of water
     contracted.

     Could apply to yours.

     Richard
     86 535