Re:<E30> Head Bolts + Oil/Water

If the "water" is colorless, then it is condensate, otherwise it is
antifreeze. Yes, it is normal to find oil in the both the bolt thread
and head cavities.

On a related topic: Having just completed rebuilding a '87 M20B25 motor,
I will, in the future, be very leery of going beyond 100k miles and 12
years on the OE head gasket where the antifreeze maintenance history is
unknown.

The old head gasket had several plugged coolant holes and several areas
of transverse corrosion.  Clearly the PO was not a believer in cooling
system maintenance. I doubt that the old head gasket would have
tolerated traveling through 200 + miles of west Texas in July (BTDT,
averaged 112 mph).