Convertibles at Driver's Schools

>From: "Bradley J. Otoupalik" <otoupalik@domain.elided>
>Subject: Converts at driving schools
>
>Well, this is particularly timely, as I just picked up our M Roadster
>today.  I run a lot of track events with Ferrari and Porsche, and neither
>of them care about soft tops. I also understand the liability, but bottom
line I am responsible for myself and I signed a waiver.  I am an attorney,
i understand the law - but I signed a waiver and we can both prove that all
reasonable precautions were taken on
>both sides to minimize an accident, and we can prove that it is NOT the
>absolute safety rule that cabs must be run with roll bars.
>
>C'mon you guys, BOTTOM LINE is that it IS MY LIFE, and if I want to risk it
>- - LET ME!

Bradley,

Tough subject!  On one hand, I agree with you in the utmost RABID
attitudes. Two years ago I would have zealously defended your right to
splatter yourself into the armco with reckless abandon.

On the other, with experience comes wisdom. There are a lot of cars that go
upside down here in the East at Driver's Schools and I think there would be
some dead bodies in some of the rollovers I've seen had the cars been
convertibles with no cage.

You can be Boris Said III and if you hit the puddle of anti-freeze in the
corner that the car 15 seconds of you just puked out, you WILL go off the
track. After that, to a large degree what will decide if you spin or roll
is the physics of your particular incident and the track landscaping, etc.,
and is out of your hands.

You might come out dead with a totaled car (and its noted that you can
accept that). Nevertheless the aftermath results in insurance problems for
the sponsoring organization and the track, scares the newbies in the local
car clubs from coming to their first Driver's School, will tramatize your
family/friends, and would make the Chief Instructor and his staff have many
sleepless nights.  That's a steep price to pay for the sake of top down
track driving.

BMWCCA has never had a track death in a Driver's School. I think one reason
they haven't is because they do not allow convertibles without cages to
run.  I know I would never climb into the right seat of a non-caged ragtop
in a Instructor Capacity on a track environment. Autocross yes, the speeds
and hazards are low.  Too many things can happen at the track, however.

Pretty much the prevailing thought is the organization is going to save you
from yourself. It's supposed to be fun and not worth killing yourself IMHO,
when with the right car you stand a much higher chance of avoiding a fatal
incident.

Buy a rat track car! You can easily get something for $ 4K or less that you
can have a ball with at the track.

Duane Collie