Re: E28 Taillights **Rob

Ed Fens ( KiloYankee@domain.elided ) wrote:

>Subject: E28 Taillights
>
>This concerns my '84 528e.  I know that the E28 has a inherent problem of
the
>taillight contacts corroding.  I have replaced the taillight housing
gaskets a
>year-and-a-half ago, so they're not leaking.  But, the other day, my "brake
>light" idiot light came on, and, upon inspection, although both brake
lights
>were working, the left brake light contacts were all corroded (I'm assuming

(snip)....
>So, if somebody could tell me how the idiot lights work (as far as what is
it
>sensing that gives me a light-inop warning) and/or what else I should look
out
>for.

    Those idiot lights are responding to voltage drops as indicators of a
bad bulb or bad circuit.  A good (and cheap) way to stop the "idiot light
problem" is to use dielectric grease on the contracts.  Clean the contacts
thoroughly first, use a a wire brush on the socket contacts and the bulb
itself... corrosion is sort of like an infection, you've really got to clean
it all out.  A wipe-down with alcohol couldn't hurt either (and a swig or
two for yourself of the potable variety if you're really frustrated!).
Apply the dielectric grease (available in auto parts stores) to all the
contacts.  This should eliminate or severely reduce the problem.

    One other possibility: make sure all your taillight bulbs are the same
brand, preferably Sylvania.  The BMW check system doesn't like some cheapie
brands, probably due to non-standard current draw.

- - Rob Levinson
waiting for my fourth E28 this week.

www.shortshifter.com