re: <E28> M535i euro lighting problems **Rob

 "Bancroft, Simon (Frankfurt)" <sbancroft@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: <E28> M535i euro lighting problems
>I have a euro M535i, 1986 auto (sorry !) and wish to see more when
>driving at night.
>Normal dipped headlamps, or even head + fog lamps are not enough.
>I wish to change the bulbs to brighter ones, but cannot find on the FAQ
>any suggestions.

    Here's an important "pre-question"... do you have the quad 5 3/4" lights
or the 7" outer and 5 3/4" inner?

    If you've got standard sealed beam 5 3/4" lights, they can be replaced
with Hella or Autopal lights that use H1 and H4 bulbs.  You would use either
85/85W lows and 85W highs which will give better lighting (brighter and the
better pattern) than sealed beams.  You can upgrade to 80/100W lows and 100W
highs for some really incredible lighting, your stock wiring can take the
extra load - my '85 535i has had them for at least a year.  You should
upgrade the fuses from 8A to 16A.  Before anyone says "never do that!" keep
in mind that the current draw is not over 8A, but the 8A fuses get hot and
these older-style ceramic fuses are delicate and will fail prematurely.  The
16A is a fuse that will also blow almost instantly if there were a
short-circuit, so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

    If you already have the 7" and 5 3/4" Euro lights, you can just upgrade
the bulbs in the same manner, they are already the replaceable-element type.

    When replacing the H1 and H4 bulbs, do yourself (and everyone in front
of you) a favor - get proper white-colored bulbs.  The blue, etc. are
nonsense and give reduced contrast lighting, the exact opposite of what you
want.  They also look silly.

- - Rob Levinson
soon-to-be-ex: '85 535i Turbo, '86 535i

soon to be: '88 M5 Turbo