Re: <E46 M3, Coupe, etc.>

>Peter Mueller was asking about info on the new E46 M3. Also, I belive
>that due to very limited amount of information on the subject out
there,
>It's a good idea to share. Consequently, here's what I know about the
>upcoming E46 M3 and Coupe, we all know the E46 Sedan.
>
>1. It will be the new body style (E46) so it's a pretty safe bet that
if
>you like the new E46 body, you'll love the new M3.
>2. Engine wise, I don't know too much, other than the new M3 is suppose
>to be the same for the US and Europe, unlike the E36 M3. This means to
>me that the europeans will see a decrease in specs, while hopefully US
>will see some increase.

Original rumors indicated this, but it doesn't look like that will be
the case.  The E46 M3 engine will be 3.4-3.6L and 340-360hp, and yes it
will be the same in the US and Europe. So...increase in performance for
Europe and US, just more for some of us (and back to real M3s in the
US!).

>3. Price whould be at least bit higher than the current M3.

Expect at least $7K more (if not more than that)- hopefully base MSRP
will be less than $50K.

>4. The only pics of E46 other than the 99' 328i, 323i and some UK bound
>318i and 316i (whatever possessed them to do the 316...) that I saw,
was
>a computer generated pic of a E46 coupe, based on the E46 sedan. The
E46
>coupe incidentally is suppose to hit the US market in spring of 1999.
>So, if you or anybody else come across any non sedan E46 pics PLEASE
let
>me know :P

First of all other countries have different tax laws that necessitate
the 316 (and i hear there is a fast 316tds somewhere in Virginia  <g>).
The coupe is scheduled for US intro in June I believe (and it sounds
like E36 coupe production ends in December).  Links to E46 coupe pics:
http://www.libcong.com/bmwcarclubtucson/images/attach1.jpg
http://www.libcong.com/bmwcarclubtucson/images/attach2.jpg
http://www.libcong.com/bmwcarclubtucson/images/attach3.jpg

>4.5 Something I read about E46 Coupe said that it will be a hatchback,
>or more precisely it's trunk will open with the rear window going up
>with it.

That's what it sounds like (but you can't tell that from the pics-
doesn't look like a 3 door).

Bruce
98 M roadster
01 E46 M3- waiting to be born