325 OBC update

Recently I posted an inquiry about troubleshooting the clock/date
function of my OBC.  the problem, was an inability to set HOURS and
MONTH due to aq defective h-dat key.  Also the display without warning
would begin to scroll undecipherable messages, which would stop as soon
as I gave the side of the dash a tap.

I removed the bezel surrounding the unit, then removed the OBC by
releasing 2 tabs at the 12 oclock and 6 oclock position.  There is one
wire connector that easily removes by releasing the grey locking lever.
The OBC can be separated by releasing 2 internal tabs at 12 and 6 oclock
positions.  Once separated you'll want to concentrate on the half with
the keypad and display.  Five small phillips screws will allow you to
remove the key input circuit board.  My problem was a broken "trace"
(copper etching on the circuit board) leading from the h-dat key to the
computer chip that's sealed in epoxy.  I repaired that by building a
solder bridge across the break.  I then cleaned the row of contacts at
the top of the circuit board that faces the display unit.  I used a mild
abrasive "contact cleaning board" and then swabbed the area with
denatured alcohol using a q tip.  I also cleaned the board underneath
the two grey strips of rubber buttons.  You will notice the backside of
the button makes contact with contacts that look like silver dots.  If
you've ever had a TV or stereo remote control or a cordless phone with a
sticky or dead key, this same method is useful.  I reassembled
everything and since 12/7/98 the OBC has worked like a champ.

On a separate note, how could I identify what model BMW radio I have.
The radio is AM/FM/WB/cassette and looks nothing like the radio pictured
in the owners manual.  It has two slide buttons at the right of the
radio, for bass, and treble.
- --
Reach me fast by alpha-pager:	rickg@domain.elided

I like visitors:		http://www.ameritech.net/users/rickg/rickg.html