Re: E30 Clutch Judder

Hi fellow Digester,

My car is a 1985 E30 320i / M20, have done 310k km
I had my clutch friction plate replaced (Sach - I think) some
60k km ago. Since then, I experienced clutch judder problem
whenever it heats up, say if caught in a traffic jam more than
half an hour. It happens every time without fail, to overcome it
I have to move off with 2nd gear and rev to 2-3k in order to
avoid the terrible judder. I can tell you, it is stressful to drive
whenever there is a traffic jam.

My mechanic told me it is due to the abestos-free clutch lining
used, I have never had this problem with my previous clutch. He
recommented me to change to a E36 Clutch plate, which he
claims he had put into a couple of E30 and all goes well. When
I compare both new clutch plates (E30 & E36) side by side.
I measured the diameter and thickness they are identical, the
color of the friction material on the E36 is darker and it feels
harder as compare to E30's. The centre spline hub is of the same
size too. The big difference is there is an absence of "torsional
dampening" coil springs (I forgot the name of it, normally it is
arranged horizontally around the centre hub, usually three or four
of them) for the E36 and also the centre hub and the plate is of one
piece, similar to some competition clutch plate. It weight less also.

My question is what are the side effects if I change to a E36 clutch
plate, which do not have this "torsional dampening" springs. Will
the other components of the drive train like the giubo, U-joints,
differential gears suffers permature wear & tear or being damaged?

Appreciate if anyone out there who had the same experience to
enlighten me. TIA.

KC Lee

1985 E30 320i TMS Short Shift
310k km.