Re: Trip computer. swap ?

> I thought it would be cool to install this computer into
> my 95 318i. It looks to me, like my 318 has a watered
> down version of the trip computer. I'm hoping I can just swap
> a box and be good to go. Do you think you could get a hold of
> the one of the four people that were successful, and foward
> how the went about doing the swap?

Oh, I think that might be possible, since I am their ringleader. :)

First off, to save yourself from future confusion, what you now have
in your car is not a water downed trip computer or a basic OBC or
anything of the sort. It is an outside temperature display, one of
several variants of the multi-information display of which the OBC is
the fanciest (or most complicated depending on your perspective).

A trip computer / OBC has two FULL rows of buttons.  If someone describes
something with anything less they are a little confused.

It will not be a simple swap to retrofit an OBC to your car, unless
the factory totally goofed up and installed the wrong harness in your
car - which I rather much doubt.  No, come to think of it, you CAN NOT
have the OBC harness as then your present outside temperature display
would not work.

To add an OBC you need to add 5-6 wires and move 2.  It is most
helpful to have a friendly dealer to raid one of their electrical
repair kits. You need a half dozen special BMW contacts and some
connector parts.  You also need to use their DIS computer for a few
minutes to "code" the OBC.

I would not attempt the work unless you are fairly skillful,
electrically-speaking.  You will end up modifying your car's wiring
harnesses which could get expensive if you are not careful.  If you
feel comfortable doing that it should be an easy weekend project.  I
can send you complete instructions if you want to give it a go.  Just
let me know.

With regards from John.
'96 318is

- --