Re: Duane's "No chains!" Advice

>Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:49:07 -0800
>From: Jerry Brown <jerbrown@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Duane's "No chains!" Advice

>Scott,

>From a post from Matthew Shaw, about a month ago:

>// Begin quote

>I've been driving to Tahoe almost every weekend of the
>ski season for the last six years now. My car a 320is
>which has a limited slip diff.  (it's been through some
>stuff you wouldn't believe)  First of all, if you have
>all season tires (will have a M/S mark somewhere on the
>tire) you can get through chain controls may times if the
>controls are set at R1.

>R1 = 2wd cars with all season tires ok.
>R2 = 2wd cars must have chains.  4wd with M/S tires ok.
>R3 = 4wd with chains only.

<SNIP>

This was a post from Matt to me in response to a question I had about
chains for my 540iA.  I purchased the recommended chains and had to use
them.  On my way home from Tahoe, Caltrans had R2 chain control set up and
it was either use chains or don't get home.  Chains were required to get
over the high point in the Sierra Nevada range which is about 8000ft ASL.
I live in San Jose, CA which is about 200ft ASL and I have never needed
snow tires or chains here ;)

Bubba Duane has been swappin' too much paint out there on the big left turn
track.

John Fagerlund
'95 540iA BMWeee
new BMWCCA