Why the Rob Knob Works

Hi all,

Since I don't (yet) have a Rob Knob, I am just speculating on the
improvements that are being seen. I suspect the impression that shifting
is both smoother and easier is a result of the brain's tendancy to be
sensitive to the CHANGES in force required during the shifting process
rather than to the absolute forces required. As the shift is taking
place, the internal transmission parts are being engaged / disengaged
throughout the shift. Each of these individual processes results in a
change to the force required to move the lever. These changes in force
are felt through the hand and interpreted by the brain as "notchiness."
By increasing the mass of the shift lever, the momentum of the lever
itself dampens the changes in force perceived by the hand. The process is
the same one used by the flywheel. The impulse forces generated by the
individual cylinder firings are dampened by the momentum of the flywheel
resulting in a smoother delivery of power to the driveline.

Hope this helps,

Ken Dobyns
Portland, OR
98 M3 (my ride)