Ford & BMW

Rumors were circulating that Ford and Daimler were talking before the
DaimlerChrysler merger, but ran into problems because the Ford family
wouldn't give up control and German law prohibited Daimler Benz from being
purchased by a foreign company.  I don't see anything changing in this
scenario - certainly BMW is NOT going to take over Ford (Daimler and
Chrysler together are not as large as Ford), and I don't think the Germans
have changed any laws, so it looks like BMW will remain independent for a
while yet.