the difference(s) between the 318i and 318is?

Shaun,
It depends upon what year and body style you mean.
I have two E30 318s, an '85 "i", and a '91 "is", and most of what I
"know" is about them. Here is what I can remember at the moment:
There were no "is"s in '85, but basically, the differences are the "is"
came standard with the sport seats (leather in the 325, vinyl
{"leatherette"} in the 318), BBS wheels, better tires, a lower front air
dam (by several inches before '88, by about 1.5 inches after), a rear
decklid spoiler, lower and stiffer springs and anti sway bars (pre '86
"i"s had no rear anti sway bar), vented front discs, better
shocks/struts, different gearing in the differential, and perhaps, a few
things that I forgot, or don't know.
They shared the same mechanicals underneath (engine, drivetrain, etc.).
I'm sure that there were never any four door "is" cars, but I know that
there were two door "i" cars.

If you meant the E36s, then I'm afraid that I can't help you. Sorry.

>Shaun asks:
>Is there any real difference between the
>afore mentioned vehicles?

- --
Do Svedanya!
Neil & Kim Hitze