E36 instrument cluster pictograms

Hey gang!

I just got a hold of a wrecked E36 instrument cluster and I'm researching a
way to enable some of the 'missing' pictograms, namely the rear fog light
pictogram.  The little square just to the right of the normal fog light is
blacked out.  I haven't tried anything yet, so my question is: is the actual
pictogram covered up or is it simply blacked out and scraping it off will
not do any good.  I don't want to ruin the cluster.  Anyone knows?

 Also, I found an interesting, unused pictogram.  It sorta looks like this:

  /       _
/____|_|

An arrow on the left and a square on the right.  Any ideas what it means?

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536