<Misc>In-car flamethrower!

Kennedy Simon writes:

>Folks-

>Thought you all might be interested in this ultimate in car-jack
deterrence:

>BC-SAFRICA-FLAMETHROWER (PICTURE)
>S.Africans take flamethrower aboard to fight crime
>By Alister Bull
>JOHANNESBURG, Dec 11 (Reuters) - Crime-obsessed South
>Africans have a new and potent weapon with which to deter
>potential criminals -- the in-car flamethrower.
>Casting a man-high fireball with no damage to the paintwork,
>the aptly named Blaster has been fitted to 25 South African
>vehicles since its launch last month.

Hmm...  I can almost see the following situation.  You get pulled over by a
cop and he asks for your drivers license/registration.  Suddenly he notices
a suspiciously looking red button on the center console.  He asks - what's
that red button do, boy?  A brake light/radar detector kill switch?  No
officer, it's just a red button.  I don't believe you, boy!  I'm telling the
truth, officer.  Go ahead push it...  No, officer.  I order you to push the
damn button!  Ok, you asked for it...  Wooosh!

But seriously, aside from using the flame thrower as a speeding ticket
avoidance tool, I think it would be a cool idea.  Unfortunately, thing like
that would never ever in a million years get DOT approval in this liability
obsessed country.  Even if you used the flame thrower on the car-jacker, he
would surely sue your ass.  Unless of course if you set the flame thrower on
'crispy' instead of 'stun'...

This article reminds me of a tool used a while back in Australia, I think,
that helped police in car chases.  It was some sort of a ramming device on
wheels, attached to the front of the police car, that when fired would jet
towards the escaping car disabling it.  I don't remember exactly how it
disabled the car, maybe electrical shock?   Anyone from down under?

Cheers,

Rob Mudry
'96 328is  Alpine SEC-007 custom alarm system (blows up the car if tempered
with)
BMW CCA #135536