Re: Its the add ons - was $485(sigla) vs $903(oem) for new windshield

When the passanger side window on my hot rod Volvo was broken in a smash and
grab my insurance company asked the body shop (there was other damage) to
use non oem glass from a specific shop. The body shop owner (who I had done
business with before) called and asked if I was ok with that. I said I was
if he was. The glass shop guy put in the glass. About a week after I got my
car back the glass fell out.

It seems that the window uses tabs superglued to the bottom for the power
window mechanism to grab and push-pull against. The after market glass came
unassembled and required the installation guy to prep the glass and glue the
tabs. As we found out when we re-installed with Volvo glass, it came
pre-assembled.

YMMV and I don't see how this applies to a windshield but watch out for the
little things.

Bill Matthews
Hockessin DE
Waiting for my BMW

>Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:35:12 -0500
>From: "David Rand" <dwrand@domain.elided>
>Subject: $485(sigla) vs $903(oem) for new windshield on 95 740i...which
one?

>Steve,
>I just had a toyota truck windshield replaced and the glass guy told me
that
>all the glass is manufactured by 2 or 3 companies worldwide.  When you get
>OEM glass they simply private label the same piece of glass from the same
>place, so save your money !
>He did tell me that you can buy two kinds of glass, regular and premium.
>The difference being that premium is hand selected off the assembly line
for
>'perfect' optical clarity.  The installers opinion was that glass is glass
>is glass and that he always laughs belly laughs when he listens to volvo
>owners insist on glass with a 'volvo' logo.............which is the same
>glass @ 25% premium !  ( I won't tell him we BMW owners have the same
>concerns !)
>
>If your still not convinced, I'd call a local glass company and speak with
>then directly (or email me and I'll give you my guys #)
>
>Drive on
>
>DWR
>89 535i/5sp
>Glock 30 .45ACP (keeps the unwashed from parking too close to my car
<grin>)