<E30> re: Something else to check

Bob Fluharty sez
>     In the right rear wheel well there is a steel channel which serves as
>     a guard for the fuel line. What looked like flakes of rust turned out
>     to be a thorough rusted-out condition, so I removed the channel.
>     Looking behind it, I first thought I had uncovered a major problem, as
>     it looked like the wheel well itself was rusted. This turned out to be
>     superficial (mostly just staining) and cleaned up well. So I guess I
>     caught it before the rust spread to something expensive.

a very good tip for E30 owners

I also ('89 325i, used in lots of salt/snow) have had problems in that area:

T fitting in fuel vent line (which lives just behind that metal channel) rusted
through = smell of gasoline

mounting bolt for metal channel through wheel well into trunk: rusted through
and took out about 1" diameter hole with rust

mounting bracket at top of wheel well - holds plastic fuel overflow tank
and also plastic splash guard - mine disintegrated and also left a 1" diameter
rust hole through the top of the wheel well into the trunk

I'd be surprised if all E30s did not have these same problems..

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002

End of bmw-digest V9 #668