Re: Wheel Offset Question - Please, Help!

Rebank@domain.elided wrote:

> My E30 M3 is specked for ET20, I am told.

That is not correct... the factory offset on the 15x7 M3 wheel is ET30 or 30 mm.
The Evo M3 cars with 16x7.5 wheels had a 27 mm offset.

> What will happen if I use wheels
> with ET11?

You'll probably have a sweet looking low rider with wheels that stick outside the
fenders by an inch or so ;)  I'm not the best with these measurements, but I think
that would be to substantial of a difference for you to be able to get away
with...

> BBS recommends spacers, while a guy at Tire Rack says that spacers
> will reduce the offset.  I am thinking that if the offset is positive, spacers
> will reduce it, and if it is negative, spacers will increase it.  Who is
> right?  What will happen if I use wheels with ET11?

The smaller the offset number (i.e. 11 vs. 30), the closer the wheels get to the
outside of the fender.  Spacers can only enhance this feature.  You would maybe be
able to use spacers if you were putting on wheels with say a 40 mm offset (I
believe Tire Rack sells spacers for the E36 M3 wheels to fit an E30 M3... the E36
wheels have a 41 mm offset).  So, with an offset of 11 mm AND a spacer, your
wheels would be waaaaay out there.  I think you better look for some different
wheels ;)  But, I'm sure some crazy person out there has figured out a way to
*make* it work, so as always, YMMV...

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com