E30 M3 Valve Adjustment.

Hi friends,
I'd like to adjust the valves on my M3, but I have no idea
since it's the first time in my life that I'm going to try that.
The only information I have is a report written in the Digest
FAQ, section 11.2 which is a little hard for a novice, and a
report for installing a cam sprocket on E30 M3 by Bob Stommel
which hasn't any valve adjustment content,  but helps a lot
with the torque values and disassemble procedures.
At the moment, I have removed the valve cover and I'm trying to
look for my feeler gauge that should be somewhere in my garage:-|
My first doubt is: what do you adjust there? I have seen that the
cam hits a kind of solid cylinder, which has another cylinder inside.
Is that second cylinder what you call "shim".  The report I have talks
about replacing shims (if necessary), but it doesn't mention any clearance
adjustment, so I wonder whether the valve adjustment on the M3 is so simple
as remove and replace those shims....
I accidentally touched one of those cylinders and it moved very
easily some degrees on the right. I hope I don't have made a mistake there.
What is the purpose of the notches in those cylinders?

I'd appreciate if someone out there could give me a detailed procedure
for novices about the valve adjustment on the E30 M3.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Jose Santana <mpower@domain.elided>
'83     316