Re: LTW Flywheel in M3's

Someone asked for inputs regarding installing a Lightweight Flywheel in an
E36 M3.  Since I have one (Turner Motorsports) in mine , I'll tell you the
pros and cons of this install and let you decide for yourself.  Remember
that in all mods, there is no free lunch.  For speed, you give up
luxury/comfort.

The flywheel itself is aluminum and about 1/2 the weight of the factory
unit.  TMS cost is $ 795.00 and you'll need new flywheel bolts as well
which are NOT the stock bolts. Install time is 2.5 hours for the pros or
12-pack of Rolling Rock at home. You do have to pull the exhaust and trans.

The basic premise of the factory dual mass flywheel is that is a dampened
flywheel which runs smoother and with less noise and vibration at the
expense of soaking up some driveline horsepower.  When you switch to the
LTW flywheel, you are looking to regain that inherent loss.

Pros: Faster RPM ramp-up into the power band.  Like a motorcycle.  This
works really great at autocross where you are doing a point and shoot
sprint between the cones as the engine gets to the power band quicker.  My
personal assessment is that once at or near the upper limits of the power
curve, benefits diminish.  It's the run-up to the redline that you feel the
difference.  Driveability is surprisingly not much affected except on steep
inclines from a dead stop.

Cons: 1) Cost of the unit itself. 2) You will need a custom chip with 200
r.p.m. added to the idle or your engine will stall during coast downs to
traffic lights, etc.  Bubba Jim C. will mod a chip/download  for you to add
this in.  3) The RATTLES.  At idle, the flywheel is not dampening like the
factory unit and will allow a grinding noise that sounds like a bad bearing
to come from your engine./transmission. This will make everyone come up to
you and say "Sumpin's bad wrong wid your motor there, sport" until you tell
them its O.K.  Under acceleration this goes away - you'll get used to it at
idle.

I installed Euro HFM setup in my car at the same time as the LTW Flywheel.
While I tell there is far more 'kick' in the car, I can't for sure say how
much in the Flywheel and how much is coming from the modified HFM.

Duane Collie

End of bmw-digest V9 #656