a4 v 323 and where's my turbo?

<<<<<<The comparison was between an A4 2.8 Quattro and a 328i. The BMW
is only $ 2k more then the Audi, not $ 10k.>>>>>>

I read the article while actually considering the cars (ultimately
decided one must buy a faster car each time to keep the grins going,
hence the m).  I wouldn't swear to it, but I recall that while the 328I
AS TESTED was only $2k more, the a4 AS TESTED had more goodies, as borne
out by the text of the article.  My organic calcs put exactly comparably
equipped cars at much greater price diff.  Don't recall whether that
included a credit for the quattro, though.  Reality is, at least in my
area, the audi dealers are dealin and the bmw dealers arent bc they
think the 323 (bc of 6cyl) is a bargain (and, it is for  a bmw) and the
328 will attract full fare in the first year with the new shape.  I was
unable to locate that $26, 700 323 bmw advertises in the ads.

Ultimately, I think the bmw just has a better image over here, though I
understand that is not the case in the Fatherland.  What you like is
what you like, and that's cool, vive la diff.  If you want fast and
roomy a v6 accord will outrun them both.

<<<<<<323 sticker price is about 4k more than comparably equipped A4
1.8t Q (but alas no leather w/audi 1.8t which is 1450.00 in the
BMW).>>>>>

as I recall, a $4k price diff is about the cost of upgrading to the a4
2.8 with leather, so why are we comparing the 323 to the 1.8t (low
pressure turbo)?  better yet, lets put $3k worth of suspension upgrade,
brakes and boost controller on the 1.8t, deduct $1000 for added engine
wear, and we've got an impressive to BEASTY (depending on where you set
the boost, easily a safe 250hp) 1.8t quattro at same effective price as
323.  Think Gti Rallye will real power.  competition for the subaru srx?
(well, probably not without a bit more upgrade).   I saw some stock
touring car race where the a4's were holding their own though trailing
the 328, apparently bc they kept wrecking into each other.

That brings me to a question.  From ownership of an mr2 turbo I was
turned onto the potential of huge power gains at low mod cost.  Folks on
the list are dumping big bucks to add a turbo.  Turbos as I recall were
touted in the 80's for being environmentally friendly (less engine mass
to haul when cruising).  IMH and uninformed O, problem is an aftermarket
turbo motor is not the equivalent of a factory turbo motor which is
designed (both from a strength and efficiency optimization standpoint)
for the turbo.

So why doesn't the US get a turbo bimmer?  Afraid its core clientele is
incompetent to care for and feed such a motor?  maybe we should quit
complaining about the overrev stuff so they won't think we're too
picky:-)

David D. Beatty
//m roadster
Myers Bigel Sibley & Sajovec, P.A.
Patent Attorneys
Suite 250, 111 Corning Road, Cary, NC 27511
PO Box 37428, Raleigh, NC 27627
Telephone: 919-854-1400
Fax: 919-854-1401
dbeatty@domain.elided