Bong-ed

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:58:30 -0500
From: bmw4curt@domain.elided (Curtis Kiser)
Subject: Re: Bong...bong...bong

But is that the only thing that this temp sensor does?   NNNOOOOO!  It
also tells the side mirror heaters to operate and allows the door lock
heaters to activate if you hold the handle up for 20 - 30 seconds.   If
you've ever replaced the driver door lock you'd learn about the
potentially 'expensive' part in that area.   It may possibly run the
windshield washer fixture heaters too.  (I'll bow the the *wise one* to
can confirm or deny that)  And since Cherman engineers love sensors and
trinkets so much I'll bet you it has about 6 more things that it
provides
information to.  It's called over-engineering.  You either love it or
hate it.
<<

Having an Euro car in London, UK, I have to say that the wing mirror
heaters work at all temperatures and the door lock heaters work at any
time of the year when you lift the driver's door handle for more than a
few seconds. Ditto for the heated windshield washers and all that. Go
ahead and touch the side mirrors (the glass itself, not the housing)
after a drive on a cool evening at about 50F (10C). It is also noticable
on a damp (but not freezing day) when your mirrors are dry and
everything else outside wet. Check out the whole plastic bottle with
washing fluid under the bonnet (or hood as you Americans call them) and
you'll find the whole bottle warm and this is not due to the engine heat
because the rest of the surrounding area (except the engine itself) is
cooler to the touch.

The temp sensor "bong" is just it. A bong! :))

*BUT* this is only for the Euro market, it MAY be different in USA.

John Khoo
'95 E36 M50tu B25 (London, UK)