Re: coolant

Since I had the 'opportunity' to replace my radiator/hoses from a thanksgiving
'coolant-suprise',
let me tell you what I got from the experience.
Phosphates and silicates crud up your cooling system over time. Most Japanese
manufacturers
suggest silicate-free and most European manufacturers suggest a phospate-free
formula.
'Dex-Cool' is a GM trademark for a phosphate/silicate-free formula and coolants may
have
'dex-cool' compliant notice on the container.
Most coolants/antifreeze at Pep Penn Jersey Autzones are the old stuff and haven't
been reccommended for some cars since the mid-80s. These are generally green
phosphate/silicate
formulas and not recommended by BMW.
The new 'free' formulas are a few bucks more and are sometimes called extended
formula.
Ingredients are usually listed. Texaco/Havoline has a coolant that various BMW
dealers use.
Curiously, Texaco has a red coolant/antifreeze and the Havoline is an orange
antifreeze/coolant.
Specs are identical..Sounds like marketing nonsense to me.
Bob Krejci mit 535is,2002,a Toaster and a 280sl