audi v bmw

<<<<<<<<<<Gary,
You just said that you can't compare an A4 to an 535, and then you go
and do the same thing. The last comparison test between the A4 and the
new 328i that I read ( last months Car & Driver), the BMW kicked the
A4's but.  Just wait until you sell your wonderful A4, Audis are not
known for holding their resale value like ........... ohhhh lets see a
.......BMW .
Norm Siegenthaler
97M3>>>>>>>>>>>

as I recall, the a4 and the 328 if comparably equipped would have come
in at nearly $10k apart.  While informative, I found it to be a stupid
comparison.  Should have compared to the 323.  Notably, as I recall
(read it a month ago), the a4 was VERY close in the overall points tally
to the 328, far from getting its "butt kicked".  If tested by the same
editors, there's no doubt the a4 would beat the 323.

General press on the cars is that the a4 is one of the best real world
cars you can buy, with or without quattro, the 323 is cramped and
plasticky, not up to the stds of the rest of the line.  I can't comment
on that, but I will say the a4 is impressively roomy (esp headroom), and
I don't fit well in the e36's.

As for resale, it may be a new day.  Audi is making a big push in the US
and IMHO has the most up to date and competitively priced overall
product line, if they are the sort of cars that attract you.  they seem
to be the choice of soccer moms in my neighborhood.  For me, the a6 is
underpowered and the a4 is undersprung, but I have unusual "needs".  For
real world drivers theyre nice overall packages.

I'm glad to see audi return.  Mercedes was never real head to head
competition, offering nothing but slushboxes and isolation rides.  The
audi alternative is probably why bmw is offering the 6cyl 323 at a price
that doesn't reflect the full 25% propeller surcharge.  I'd love to see
audi offer an //M equivalent with quattro.  Then maybe BMW would feel
compelled to figure out a way to get the Euro-spec //M3 into the US
!!!!!!!

David D. Beatty
99 //M roadster (76 deg F, top down)
Myers Bigel Sibley & Sajovec, P.A.
Patent Attorneys
Suite 250, 111 Corning Road, Cary, NC 27511
PO Box 37428, Raleigh, NC 27627
Telephone: 919-854-1400
Fax: 919-854-1401
dbeatty@domain.elided