<E30> Turn Signal Switch, Steering Wheel Questions

The Bentley manual was not particularly informative on this issue, so
any help is appreciated.  On a 1990 E30 325i U.S. with air bag steering
wheel, is it necessary to remove the steering wheel to replace the turn
signal switch?  Or, can the switch be removed without messing with the
wheel?

I've seen the instructions for removing the E36 air bag steering wheel,
but I haven't seen anything on the E30 air bag wheel.  Are the
procedures the same?

I probably have time today (Sunday) to replace the switch if I don't
have to deal with the air bag.  However, if I have to remove the
steering wheel, and thus disconnect the battery for a sufficient period
of time prior to removal, I think I'll wait until next weekend.

TIA for any help on this, and a direct reply would be appreciated.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977