Re: Slipping Clutch BA

>From: PDumond21@domain.elided
>Subject: Slipping Clutch
>
>I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I have a '97 M3
and my
>clutch is already slipping.  When I get on the throttle, the clutch
slips.  I
>drive the car hard very little (nothing like drag racing at every
light) and I
>don't think my everyday driving would cause the clutch to slip.  Does
anyone
>know if this is covered under the warranty?  Thanks in advance.
>
>Paul

Clutches, like brakes, are a wear item. They are NOT covered by your
warranty.
HOWEVER, they ARE covered against material defects and BMW clutches have
been known to fail prematurely due to defects.

Now comes the tricky part. Your dealer will agree to inspect the clutch,
for which, the transmission has to be removed.  BUT before they do the
inspection, you MUST guarantee to pay for the removal and installation
of the transmission (6 hrs) BEFORE they will start.
Then, and only then, they will pull the trans and inspect the clutch. IF
the clutch has failed due to material defect, they will replace it free
of charge.
IF it is obviously a failure due to abuse, or inability to handle a
manual transmissioned car, you will be handed a bill for the repair.

The physical condition of the clutch quite clearly, without doubt, will
show abuse or material failure.  I doubt there is another part on a car
(other than, perhaps, tyres) that so obviously screams abuse, visually.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you