Re: bmw attitude/service

Jerry,

As a fellow digester, I gotta add to your coment about Direct Imports in
Gainesville.

I just moved here in August and the AC on my 89 535 didn't work. Brought it
into Direct, they're the authorized people, right? Service people were real
nice. Gave me cookies and stuff. And what a great job they did washing the
car! Oh, but their diagnosis: I need $2500 worth of work--the entire AC system
needs replacement. They also stopped just short of recommending that I replace
the SS headers in the car bacause they felt they caused too much heat in the
engine compartment (headers have been on for three yrs) with no probs.

OK, I thought, maybe I'll do it a little at a time. I started ordering parts
from Vine Automotive in Ala and got to talking to the good folks there. Maybe
I'm not a mechaninical wizard but it did make sense to me (eventually) that
the every component of the AC system would fail simultaneously.

Next step was to check in with Continental on Main St-- my neighbor who's a
mech had mentioned them as well.  They replaced one pipe, P&L $250. AC works
great.

This leaves me with two conclusions about Direct: either they don't know what
they're doing at least part of the time (in a BIG way) or they're scummy rip-
off artists. I will never take either of my cars near that place again.

I'll make no assumptions about the sales staff. As usual, YMMV, but caveat
emptor, with a heavy emphasis on the caveat.

Blake
89 535i(s) unstock
93 525i stock

In a message dated 12/2/98 4:13:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-bmw-