RE: E30 amp wiring question

Hello BMW Experts!       Thanks to Chris, Don, Felix, and Bob for
the great advise they all offered.  Chris' write-up is very helpful!
     I would like to try and use the stock head unit, at least until next
summer
or so.  I sort of like the thing, with the flashing anti-theft light(stock
look means less
street interest), and I also like the front-rear fader, so that I can
listen to sports talk
 without blasting my dog too much!
     Unfortunately, my read of Bobs' reply finds his answer to be
ambiguous.
Will the fader work to a lesser degree, or not at all?  Can a nice Radio
Shack (!)
fader be used as a substitute?
               TIA! Murf '87 325(8)is    BMWCCA 79550