M3 vs 328i

>Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:30:07 -0600
>From: "Brent Williams" <baw2@domain.elided>
>Subject: M3 vs 328is

snip..
>As far as power, you won't even notice the
>difference between the two cars until you punch it.

Exactamente sen~or!!

 In my humble opinion
>they both start out with the same grunt, but the 328 gives up before the M3
>does.  You won't notice the differences at all until you floor it.

Kinda like punching it, isn't it?

>Personally I find it hard to justify spending 47 thousand dollars on
>basically the same car as the 328is.

Different motor, brakes, suspension, transmission, rear end, interior, is
not basically the same (I'm sure the list goes on).

  But then again, I am still shopping
>for an NSX.

Hope you find one.

 >I have never driven one.  I am a young engineer, 25,

I'm not an engineer, but I know there are pretty big differences in the
cars--engineering differences.

>I am very much into the BMW M cars,

Then you should know M cars are different, period.  M1's are not.......E30
M3's are not 325's, E 28 M5's are not 535's,  E34 M5's are not 535's either.

>but I feel that I should get a
>different car for an additional 10 grand.

You can get a Boxster for $57k.....

> And for all of you that claim
>there is a difference in sound, I just can't hear it.

You can make any car sound just about any way you want--fool around with
pipes--you'll see.

>I am sorry, I just
>can't see the side of an M3 that makes it worth 10K more than a 328is.

Personal preference, but DRIVING makes all the difference to me.

> On a
>final note, I will never find an engine that I love more than the wonderful
>4.4 litre V8 in my 96 740.

Nice car, and we're in the home stretch.

 Bought it used, but I love every second of
>driving it.  It feels powerful, and very small despite being the size of a
>house.

Must be a 2 bedroom, huh?

snip...

>truly wonderful car.  Add to that some 18 inch rims, and some lower
>springs/shocks, and you get a sports sedan to scare just about anyone.

I'm missing something.  Is it the wheels, the fact that they are 18", or the
lower ride that makes it scarry?  We talking masks and costumes here?

> If you have a M3 and you get on someone's bumper they don't really get out
of
>your way, they are not scared of a 3.

Why should anyone be scard of a particular model of car?  Why on earth would
you be foolish enough to ride anyone's bumper?

> On the other hand, a 7 in their
>rearview mirror and they can't move fast enough.  They think that you are
>going to run them down.  That is the BMW experience that makes it the
>Ultimate Driving Machine.

Not my idea of the Ultimate experience; sounds like the begining of a
nightmare.....   Happened to me the other day...looked in the rear
view....HORRORS!!!! a  freaking 7!!!!  Quite unusual, usually it's a nedreck
in a Ford pickup.  And I try to aviod any miscreant riding my bumper.  If I
panic stop, guess what's gonna happen to the scarry guy on my bumper?

>Brent

>95' 325i
>95' 740i

>PS - 328is sport package looks just like an M3.  So if you are after looks,
>look no further.

Not really.  But if looks are your raison d'etre, to hell with how it
drives, buy an Isetta.

Chris Brennan
BMW CCA #19577