M3 or 328i

>Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 16:27:33 -0500
>From: "Mudry, Robert (CAP, AMR)" <rob.mudry@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E36> M3 or 328is
>
>Mark, tough decision.

Pretty easy really.

>I decided to get a '96 328is with sport package simply because the price
was
>right and the insurance was a lot less (also the issue of the yearly VA
>property tax).  That and the fact that I didn't know squat about BMW's when

Sounds like you are talking new car purchase here.  Mark isn't.  We've gone
on ad nauseum re insurance rates on M3's.  It all depends!!!!  On who you
are (a/s etc.), where you live, etc.

>I got the car.  But very quickly I started to yearn for the performance
that
>M3 offers.  So I decided to do the following upgrades:

>M3 suspension, M3 wheels/tires, M3 exhaust, M3 front bumper/spoiler, M3
rear
>wing, M3 mirrors, AC Schnitzer Short Shift.  Each and every upgrade was a
>"great deal" that I patiently waited for by scoping the ads on the Digest
as
>well as the Roundel.   And let's not forget the joy and pure satisfaction
on
>working on your "baby."

And you spent more doing all that than the price of an M3 and you still
don't have what you were "yearning" for--M3 performance.  You forget the
///Motor?

>You can imagine the "double take" that people do when they see an M3
>approaching and then they see the 328is logo.  :)   But I digress... If you
>think you're gonna be a taking the car to the track or autocross a lot, go
>for the M3...  If all you want is a dependable, affordable, sporty
>"grocery-getter," go for the 328is.  Either way, you can't go wrong.

No offense, but you can go wrong.  Mark can get a clean 95 M3 for $26k-28k.
He said he would consider a 96-97 328i.  Prolly won't see one for a whole
lot less than $26k.

>Rob Mudry
>'96 328is
>BMW CCA #135536
>
>PS.  The problem with the M3 is that some of the common sense items like
>cruise control or the arm rest are options!   I mean, come on...  how much
>added weight does the arm rest contribute?

The vast majority of the e36 M3's came equipped with cruise.  My $.02, look
for one with cruise.  Arm rests can be had at the dealer for a modest sum.

>>Well, after being BMW-less for a year and a half I just can't stand it any
>longer. I'm torn between an M3 and a 328is with sports package. I'm looking
>for >some help in my decision.  To those of you who may have been in the
>same boat, what decision did you make and what swayed you that direction?
>>Can't afford new so I'm considering a 95-96 M3 or a 96-97 328is.
>>Many thanks,
>>Mark H.
>>San Jose

Chris Brennan
BMW CCA #19577
68 1600 95 M3 (canceled my order for a 325is in 95 and bought the M--best
extra $5k I ever spent).  One other option:  buy 2 E30 M3's one for street,
one for track, and you can still go to the next ///M Day.......