<E30>What ECUs will Interchange?

Hi

I have a 1987 325IS will a bad engine control unit (Motronic/ECU). The last
3 digits on the box are 153. This is the number most people use to ID them.

When I replace it, I would like to upgrade to a newer box like a 173 which I
think is a Motronic 1.3 VS 1.1 for the 153 box.

What other ECUs will work with this car? One person told me that for 89 thru
91 (I, IS, IX) the 153,173,380,524,525,526 will all work. Does this apply to
the 1987IS?. I believe these all have 3 rows of pins.

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated, and also anyone who
has a compatible ECU for sale please let me know.

Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter

1988 325IS, (to much to list), should have stayed the street car.

1987 325IS, project, should have been the track car (BAD ECU, GOT ONE?)