Re:buying used BMW's on internet

I bought my E28 M5 through the Internet.    I saw the man's ad, called him,
and fortunately we were close enough to make the deal work (me in NC, him
in SC).   We met in the middle, I drove the car, then later after he had
some stuff fixed, I drove down to his house, picked-up the car, drove it
back to NC and had it checked-out.   Then I flew back down and gave him a
check, got the title and drove my car back home.

Obviously this required trust on his part to let me take the car and have
it checked-out, but in the end he got what he wanted (his asking price) and
I got a heck-of-a good car.

Michael

E28 M
E36 M