Re: Buying on (and off) the Internet

While I agree that BMW CCA members and Digest subscribers are probably more
diligent in the care and upkeep of their cars than most car owners, I would
still recommend that any prospective purchase be evaluated by an
independent evaluation service.  I used the Auto Critic
(www.autocritic-us.com) and they rejected two E30s that I wanted to buy -
the best ~$100 I ever spent!!  It is a franchise organization and I used
their thorough evaluation for an out-of-town car, via an local independent
mechanic who I was referred to by the Hoosier Chapter of the Car Club
(Thank you, Bob Stommel!)  He found a small gasket seepage problem that the
BMW dealer (who was selling the car on consignment) had missed.  The dealer
agreed and replaced it under warranty.
I then, with confidence about the car, flew out to Indianapolis, bought the
car, and drove it home (two years ago).  I have been very happy about all
aspects of the transaction and I love the car!

Regards,

New York, New York [As David Letterman likes to say, "The city so nice,
they named it twice!"]